5 Things You Need To Know About Filing Taxes As A Freelancer


There are many advantages to being a freelance professional. However, filing your taxes can present a major challenge. If you are lucky enough to be a freelancer that works for a single company or client, then filing your taxes might be a breeze. But if you work for numerous companies and individuals throughout the year, then filing your taxes can potentially be a downright nightmare. In that instance, you might consider hiring a professional to do your taxes for you. Here are 5 things you should know about filing your taxes as a freelancer:


1. You Must Report All of Your Income (Even If You Don’t Get a 1099)

As a rule, employers are only required to send out 1099-MISC forms if they paid you more than $600. Just because they don’t send you a 1099, however, doesn’t mean they won’t claim those expenses on their taxes. It’s important to keep track of every dime you earn, even if you don’t get a 1099 from someone you worked for. If you don’t have detailed, accurate records, it will probably cost you far less in the long run to just claim a bit more than you actually earned and pay the tax on it than to under-report what you earned and open yourself up to a potential audit.


2. You Don’t Have to File If You Made Less Than $400

If you freelance as a “side-gig” and made less than $400, you don’t have to file taxes as being self-employed. In addition, you are allowed to claim certain business expenses for being self-employed. If you subtract your legitimate business expenses from what you earned and come out with less than a $400 net profit, then you also don’t have to file self-employment taxes.


3.) You Will Be Required to Pay “Extra” Tax On Your Income

A regular employee working for a regular employer automatically has certain taxes taken out of their paycheck, such as Social Security, Unemployment, and Medicare. In addition, employers also pay half of their employee’s Federal taxes. As a self-employed person, you are both an employee and employer, which means you are responsible for paying both portions of those taxes.


4. Home Office Expenses

If you have a dedicated area in your home designated as a home office, you can claim a portion of expenses like rent (or mortgage and property taxes if you are home owner). Cleaning supplies and other miscellaneous items may also be eligible. However, you can only claim these expenses if the area is solely used as an office. Also keep in mind that claiming home office expenses requires filing out a longer form, so if you are a full time freelance professional with a home office, you might consider hiring a tax professional like Donohoo Accounting Services to prepare your taxes for you.09


5. Tax Professionals Can Be Especially Helpful to Freelancers

Filing your taxes as a freelancer can be a major strain and take away significant time from doing what you do best. Donohoo Accounting Services can help you get a maximum return with a minimum of stress. Remember, a phone call is free, so consider giving us a call today at 513-528-3982 and let us tell you how we can help you!

Tax Planning for Major Life Transitions

When Benjamin Franklin famously wrote about the certainty of death and taxes, he may not have realized that that these two aspects of American life would later become important elements of financial planning.

Estate and tax planning are not the most enjoyable topics of conversation. However, they are essential in terms of anticipating certain situations that could become costly. Estate planning is related to the efficiently managing money for individuals who are approaching retirement and want a smart way to distribute their assets to loved ones when they pass away. Tax planning involves various methods to reduce tax burdens, particularly in relation to major life events like marriage, divorce, childbirth and going to college.

Many taxpayers are not aware of the potential deductions, deferments and credits that they can take advantage of at certain points in their lives. Here are some examples:


Walking Down the Aisle

Most couples believe that getting married means a lower tax liability, and this is true to a certain extent. However, couples who earn incomes that are higher than the national average may end up paying more taxes when their status is “married filing jointly” than other couples who could actually benefit if they file separately. There may be other reasons when filing separately makes sense, such as when one spouse faces tax or child support arrears.



The joy of welcoming a baby into the family is shared by the IRS in the form of certain tax deductions and credits. Unfortunately, many taxpayers who are not aware of these benefits forego claiming them.


Going to College

Taxpayers who seek higher education are rewarded by the IRS in the form of educational tax credits, as well as tax-free investment and savings accounts. There are certain income limitations that may preclude educational tax credits, and thus it makes sense to conduct tax planning in advance.


Dissolution of Marriage

Aside from the obvious change in filing status, getting divorced may bring about certain tax implications related to child support payments and alimony. Individuals who retain child custody could face greater economic burdens even as they receive financial support from their former spouses. For this reason, it is important to investigate potential tax liabilities before the divorce decree is entered.



When American taxpayers retire, holding on to every income dollar becomes a serious economic priority. Personal savings, retirement accounts and Social Security income can be taxed under certain circumstances. Even moving to a more affordable Latin American or Caribbean nation for retirement does not leave U.S. taxpayers off the hook. The best way to approach retirement taxation is to start planning now.

In the end, tax planning is something that more people should look into before any of the aforementioned events take place. If you would like to learn more about how tax planning can help you save money and take greater advantage of available tax credits, contact the tax professionals at Donohoo Accounting Services in Cincinnati by calling 513-528-3982.